Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 4: Debby Harry, Bruce Springsteen, Karen O, Geddy Lee

Jimi Hendrix handily won last week (20 pts), with Janice Joplin (13 pts) second. Ian MacKaye and Tom Petty were well behind. This week's crop is very different...

Geddy Lee of Rush
Performs "Tom Sawyer" in 1982


Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Performs "Y Control"


Debbie Harry of Blondie
Performs "A Girl Should Know Better"



Bruce Springsteen with the E Street Band
performs "Born to Run" in 1978

10 comments:

  1. (1) OMG, Bruce Springsteen, obviously. The race is for second place this week.
    (2) Debbie Harry. Seems to have had more vim and vigor way back at the beginning of the band.
    (3) Karen 0. Does the "O" stand for "odd"? Well, at least she's got a thing she does.
    (4) Geddy Lee. Somebody needs to let these guys know when they're on stage, it's *different* from being in the studio. There's *people* out there in the audience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) The Boss - Great bandleader, legendary stage performer, excellent songwriter, career that spans 5 decades...the total package.
    2) Debbie Harry - Can someone be scalding hot and ice cold at the same time? Absolutely...and she rocks it to perfection.
    3) Karen O - Quirky, but a good performer and musician nonetheless.
    4) Geddy Lee - There are 2 kinds of people in the world...those who are maniacal about Rush and those who could not care less. I am the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this will be a Springsteen blowout given the household bias coming down the pike, so I'll vote for my favorite rather than "the best."

    1. Karen O. Love her, love the band, love the juxtaposition of girliness and edge.
    2. Debbie Harry. This is my girl power vote. (Unlike the Natalie Merchant wave from earlier.)
    3. Bruce. I respect him more than I like him. (I know--these are fighting words. So sue me.)
    4. Geddy Lee. Ugh. Rush. I can't believe there was a two month period of my life when I thought they were Ah-some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Bruce--he blows everyone else out of the water this week
    2. Karen--definitely has her own style
    3. Debbie-- more engaging than Geddy Lee
    4. Geddy Lee--I'm just not a fan of the music and I think there is a lack of engagement with the audience

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Bruce. The essence of a frontman because he remembers the band! My money says he wins this whole thing. . .
    2. Debbie Harry. The first lady rapper (in Rapture--according to Jay-Z) She's got it all, so creative
    3. Karen O you are better then . . .
    4. Getty Lee--I really could NOT tell who the frontman was . . .Rush is an exercise in nesting the lyric electronic perfection, I guess. Think Spinal Tap

    ReplyDelete
  6. (1) Bruce, duh!!!
    (2) Debbie Harry, love sense of stley, great vocie
    (3) Karen O, um...
    (4) Getty Lee, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (1) Bruce
    (2) Debbie Harry
    (3) Karen O
    (4) Getty Lee

    ReplyDelete
  8. (1) Bruce: Born to sing!
    (2) Blondie: Mixed feelings about the band name, but good singer anyway.
    (3) Karen O: Chillax! Craziness does not a rock star make.
    (4) Getty Lee: I diden't even see the vidio cuz of the slow laptop, but everyone else must have rated him last so he must stink like a dead fish in Augst.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (1) Bruce. I'm bowing to the obvious, but I'm just not a big fan.
    (2) Geddy Lee. Revealing my geekiness! Geddy is a God! A freak of nature. He has eleven toes, too!
    (3) Debbie Harry -- punk goddess!
    (4) Karen O. -- no no no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Bruce - what can I say, he is The Boss for a reason.
    2. Debbie - this was tough, but I've gotta go with the gut.
    3. Karen - really a tie with Debbie. Hard to place her 3rd, but it is what it is.
    4. Geddy Lee - never fan of Rush.

    ReplyDelete

Example: be sure to include your ranking ...
(1) Justin Bieber: dreamy dance moves!
(2) Miley Cyrus: hair flip!
(3) Barney: enthusiastic, but a little stiff
(4) Kermit the Frog: meh.